Home Blog Portfolio Client Login

Monday, July 11, 2011

Down Shifting Your Gear



In photography it is very easy to get wrapped up in the technological side of the business. As I have been doing more product reviews I have been finding myself guilty of turning into a gear-head. I have found a whole bunch a great equipment out there. I love to talk about it and I love to take it out on shoots. However, at some point it turns into not being about the photos anymore and all about what you used to get that photo.

Portland Photographer

When I see myself starting down that path I open up my camera bag and take a mental inventory of what it contains. I then ask myself if everything in there is necessary. For the most part it is, especially when I am going out on a client shoot. I love having as many options as possible then. For me, though, every now and again I like to just strip it all down and go out and make some pictures. Camera body and a 50mm f/1.8 lens and I am set. I find that heading out with just the basic kit helps change your perspective on shooting and all of the gear that you use in general. Keeping it simple is more often than not the best way to go in order to grow as an artist. It is not about quantity, but quality. Every piece of gear in your kit should be there because it is the best option for your needs.

So the next time you head out to work on some personal projects try using the bare bone basics and see what you can do. Exercise your mind and ability, not just your bag of tricks. Not only will you become a better photographer, you will be that much prouder of your outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment